Roof leaks are indeed a pain in the butt for many as they can potentially damage the interior of your home. For antiquated roofs, inspection is vital to resolve any damages and to prevent problems before they arise. In addition, stormy weather can really weaken any roofing material, so, prevention efforts should always be the focused. But, what should you do when you are already in that situation and you feel droplets on your forehead coming from your roof?
Firstly, your main focus should be controlling the interior damage as fast as you can. Move all your items away from where the leak is. If appliances are not possible to move, cover them with plastic for protection. Subsequently, position a leak proof container on a solid surface to collect the dripping water.
Here are the things you need to do when water find its way into your living room:
- Remove The Water: Dry all soaked materials to prevent mold growths. Provide ventilation to affected areas if possible.
- Contact your insurance agent: If an extensive damage has been sustained, it is wise to contact your insurance agent immediately. They are usually quick to take action to provide you help throughout the cleaning process, as well as the replacement of damaged items.
- Inspect where the roof leaks are coming from: Check the sources of the leaking water. Ensure that the gutters, downspouts and valleys are not blocked with debris to facilitate passage of water off the roof and away from your house. Also, make sure your roof is not damaged and that the water barrier is not exposed. Be aware that water can travel, and it doesn’t necessarily mean that the visible leaking area is directly below an exposed part of your roof. Therefore, it is critical to check the entire region to determine the exact area of roof leaks.
- Clear the gutters and downspouts: Ensure that water in your gutters and downspouts is moving freely. If determined to be clogged, clean them with a garden hose to remove any blockages. If not possible, detach the downspout from your gutter and push the debris out the pipe using a long object. Once cleared, reattach the material directing the water away from your house.
- Get help from a well-trained and licensed roofing contractor: If the roof leaks are too much to handle for you, maybe it is time for you to contact a well-trained and a licensed roofing contractor.Repair and re-roofing can be costly, but if it is the only way for you, make sure to get several estimates from different contractors. Pick only
- a licensed contractor with insurance. Don’t allow the work to start unless a municipal permit (if required) has already been secured. Moreover, it is also advisable to replace damaged wood first before re-roofing ensues.Contact us to see how we can improve the appearance and value of your property with a new roof. We serve Denver, CO and the Front Range (surrounding areas).